Fifteen minutes a day reading and answering questions about the news in the Daily Juice builds skills and competencies that improve performance against key academic standards.
Each of our news stories is written at multiple grade-based language levels and highlight both Tier 2 and Tier 3 words to build general literacy and subject-specific knowledge.
After reading a story, students answer a quiz question that aligns with a grade-level appropriate Common Core standard for Reading Informational Text, including standards covering:
- Citing evidence and identifying logical inferences (RI.1)
- Determining central ideas and themes (RI.2)
- Analyzing how individuals, events and ideas develop and interact (RI.3)
- Interpreting words and phrases (RI.4)
- Analyzing text structure (RI.5)
- Assessing point of view (RI.6)
- Integrating content from diverse sources (RI.7)
- Delineating and evaluating arguments (RI.8)
- Analyzing how different texts explore similar themes (RI.9)
In addition, a daily vocabulary exercise builds student understanding of how to clarify the meaning of unknown words or words with multiple meanings. (L.4)
Social Studies, Science, and Mathematics
Standards focusing on reading and understanding informational/non-fiction text are relevant to other academic subjects, such as social studies, science and even mathematics, just as content taught in those disciplines are vital to understanding the news.
This is why, in addition to aligning our quiz questions to Common Core reading standards, we tag each story to identify how it fits with other subject-specific standards.
Sample story tags (drawn from the nation’s social studies, science, and math standards) include:
- Civics – Civic and Political Institutions
- Economics – The Global Economy
- Geography – Geographic Representations
- History – Perspectives
- Physical Science – Energy
- Life Science – Ecosystems
- Earth and Space Science – Earth and Human Activity
- Engineering – Engineering Design
- Mathematics – Representating Data
- Mathematics – Understanding and Analyzing Statistical Data
- Mathematics – Understanding Probability
- Mathematics – Reasoning Mathematically
This combination of standards-aligned assessment and standards-aligned story tagging allows teachers to search for stories based on specific standards in their discipline, as well as by story topics.
Beyond helping students develop their reading ability and content knowledge, The Daily Juice gives students the opportunity to practice critical-thinking skills by encouraging them to question and reason about the news, investigate further, and draw their own conclusions.
What They're Saying
Read what teachers, parents, homeschoolers, experts, and the media are saying about The Daily Juice.