Fifteen minutes a day reading and answering questions about the news in the Daily Juice builds skills and competencies that improve performance against key academic standards.
Each of our news stories is written at multiple grade-based language levels and highlight both Tier 2 and Tier 3 words to build general literacy and subject-specific knowledge.
After reading a story, students answer a quiz question that aligns with a grade-level appropriate Common Core standard for Reading Informational Text, including standards covering:
- Citing evidence and identifying logical inferences (RI.1)
- Determining central ideas and themes (RI.2)
- Analyzing how individuals, events and ideas develop and interact (RI.3)
- Interpreting words and phrases (RI.4)
- Analyzing text structure (RI.5)
- Assessing point of view (RI.6)
- Integrating content from diverse sources (RI.7)
- Delineating and evaluating arguments (RI.8)
- Analyzing how different texts explore similar themes (RI.9)
In addition, a daily vocabulary exercise builds student understanding of how to clarify the meaning of unknown words or words with multiple meanings. (L.4)
Social Studies, Science, and Mathematics
Standards focusing on reading and understanding informational/non-fiction text are relevant to other academic subjects, such as social studies, science and even mathematics, just as content taught in those disciplines are vital to understanding the news.
This is why, in addition to aligning our quiz questions to Common Core reading standards, we tag each story to identify how it fits with other subject-specific standards.
Sample story tags (drawn from the nation’s social studies, science, and math standards) include:
- Civics – Civic and Political Institutions
- Economics – The Global Economy
- Geography – Geographic Representations
- History – Perspectives
- Physical Science – Energy
- Life Science – Ecosystems
- Earth and Space Science – Earth and Human Activity
- Engineering – Engineering Design
- Mathematics – Representating Data
- Mathematics – Understanding and Analyzing Statistical Data
- Mathematics – Understanding Probability
- Mathematics – Reasoning Mathematically
This combination of standards-aligned assessment and standards-aligned story tagging allows teachers to search for stories based on specific standards in their discipline, as well as by story topics.
Beyond helping students develop their reading ability and content knowledge, The Daily Juice gives students the opportunity to practice critical-thinking skills by encouraging them to question and reason about the news, investigate further, and draw their own conclusions.
Requiring only about 15 minutes each day, daily use of The Daily Juice builds skills and competencies that improve performance against key learning standards. All of our content is aligned with grade-level appropriate State and Common Core standards for Reading Informational Text.
Each story in The Daily Juice is accompanied by a diagnostic standards-aligned quiz question. Over the course of a month, The Daily Juice repeatedly quizzes each standard so we can diagnostic data on individual and class progress.
By reading The Daily Juice, students are assessed on these standards and subject areas:
English Language Arts
- Determine the central ideas or information
- Summarize content
- Citing textual evidence
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases
- Critical thinking
- Quantitative reasoning
Also, stories highlight Tier 2 and Tier 3 words to build literacy and subject-specific knowledge. In addition to defining the words, vocabulary quiz questions are designed to help students think about words in context.
With The Daily Juice, students learn to question and reason what they have read. They are encouraged to investigate and make conclusions. Our program results in discussion and reflection around key points.
How The Daily Juice Enhances Learning
Select a Learning Standard or Subject
A story for 5th and 6th grade students which quizzes a 6th grade Key Ideas and Details standard.
A story for 7th and 8th grade students which quizzes an 8th grade Craft and Structure standard.
A story for 9th and 10th grade students which quizzes a 10th grade Integration of Knowledge and Ideas standard.
A story for 11th and 12th grade students which covers and quizzes business and economics topics.
A story for 7th and 8th grade students which covers and quizzes geography topics.
A story for 11th and 12th grade students which covers and quizzes history topics.
A story for 7th and 8th grade students which covers and quizzes civics topics.
What They're Saying
Read what teachers, parents, homeschoolers, experts, and the media are saying about The Daily Juice.