1. What information is collected through our Service?
a. User-Provided Information
During your use of a Service you may provide us with personal information, such as your name, e-mail addresses, your activities, including browsing and transaction history, or other information that could be used to identify you as an individual or allow someone to contact you, as well as any information associated with such personal information (collectively, “Personal Information”).
b. Location Data
When using our Services from a mobile device (a “Mobile Service”), you may choose (using your device’s location settings) to share the geographic location of your device with us. We may use your location information to customize Services for you in other ways. Your device location may be transmitted to us any time that a Mobile Service is running (even if you are not actively using the application or it is running in the background on your device). Your device may continue to transmit its location information to us until you change your settings to stop sharing location information.
If you set your device to not transmit location information to us, certain features may not be available or their functions may be limited. You should also know that turning off location sharing only prevents your device from sharing its precise location. Your network service provider may still provide coarse location information (based on access points you have connected to, for example). The information provided varies by service provider. You should check with your own provider to find out what information is provided and if there are ways for you to limit it.
c. Service Usage Information
As is typical of many websites and mobile applications, our Services automatically collect certain information when you use them. Such information includes, for example, your “IP address” (which we may associate with your domain name or that of your Internet access provider or wireless carrier, and your general location), information about your computer or mobile device, a unique ID number associated with your device or other unique identifiers such as advertising identifiers (e.g., “ad-ID” or “IDFA”), web browser, and operating system information, the language your computer or device is set to, wireless connections you are using, the referring page that linked you to us, general information about your usage of our Services, the pages, content or ads you see or click on during your use and when and for how long you do so, and the next website you visit when you leave our website, and any search terms you have entered on our Services or a referral site.
Among other things, this information enables us to generate analytics reports on the usage of our Service.
In addition, we may deploy various tracking technologies through our Services to collect additional information about your use. For example:
- HTML5 may be used to store information on your computer or device about your Service usage activities. This information can be retrieved by us to determine how our Services are being used by our visitors, how it can be improved, and to customize it for our users.
- A pixel tag (also known as a “clear GIF” or “web beacon”) is a tiny image – typically just one-pixel – that can be placed in an online page or electronic communications to you in order to help us measure the effectiveness of our content by, for example, counting the number of individuals who visit us online or verifying whether you’ve opened one of our emails or seen one of our articles.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or by our service providers or partners on our behalf. These technologies enable us to assign a unique number to your computer or device, and relate information about your use of the Services to other information about you, including your Personal Information. These technologies also enable us to recognize you when you access our Service using different web browsers or devices.
2. How is your information used?
We or our service providers may use the information we collect from and about you to perform the following business functions:
- administering our Services
- enabling users to use our Services and their features
- localizing the content and articles that are displayed to you based on your geographical location
- responding to your requests, questions, and concerns
- market research
- improving or developing new features and offerings in our Services
- sending you marketing and other communications, including information about products, services, and events, of ours and of others, that we think might interest you
- protecting our rights and property
- customizing our Services to your interests and history with us
- tailoring ads displayed to you in our Services and elsewhere to your interests and history with us
- other purposes disclosed when personal information is submitted to us
To perform the above functions, we may match information collected from you through different means or at different times, including both Personal Information and information about your use of the Services, and use such information along with information obtained from other sources (including third parties) such as demographic information and updated contact information. We or our service providers may also use your information to assess the level of interest in, and use of, our Service, our e-mails, and our other messaging campaigns both on an individual basis and in the aggregate.
3. External Platforms
We may also include tools on our Services that allow you to share and/or publicly post articles, content or information from